Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wistfulness, old women and crows.

Still feeling a little bereft at times over the passing of our sweet pug. I have been looking off wistfully while working on some new drawings.

Through the window I watch the trees turn from brown, to brown and white again and dream of the old and new places I will discover while tromping through the woods this spring.
Sometimes this kind of imagining influences my art and I never know what sort of places this will take me.
 This week the kindest, funniest old woods woman paid me a visit. These women come to visit quite often and I interpret this as a reminder that long ago we were all women and men of the woods and that many of us feel a strong bond with the natural world and long to reconnect with nature.



This woman came to me with humor and warmth all bundled up inside her coat that she shares with birds and other creatures of the woods.

Nuts and seeds fell from holes in her pockets as she made her way down the brushy path.


Laughing and clucking as she fed the birds I could feel myself become her as I traced the lines of her sparkling eyes.


And with the melting snow come the crows,
looking for tasty things under the snow.


So clever they are . I love to watch them and are often rewarded with fresh scenes that they leave me for drawing. 





Emma watching crows.




11 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the women that visit you. They are so full of wisdom and have a clever gleam to their eyes.
    As for crows, I'm very fond of them. I like all the birds that circle my island.

    I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a friend is very sad.
    Lots of Love,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, It's nice to read your words and to see your sweet face today. You must tell me about your wondrous birds sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed reading your post, Ramona! I'm sorry about the loss of your dog. I lost some pets too the last few months and I know how you feel.

    And don't get me started on crows, I love them so much. They are clever creatures and misunderstood and I love to photograph them.

    Your drawings are so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a meditative story , but not a story, it is reality, but told like a story. What a sweet old woman, and Emma looks so interested in her warm cloth and from her safe place! Clear drawings from a right-feeling artist! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gina, I was thinking today while I put on the necklace that I purchased from your beautiful jewelry shop that there is a connection forming with the pendant and all the beautiful people, such as you, surrounding me right now, that it will instill such a bittersweetness that I will forever cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes that,s right Dori, a reality story, and one that has so many amazing chapters. This little cat, Emma has a soft window seat that she can see the performance of the crows when they are on the stage in the front of the house. She meows very enthusiastically at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Performance of the crows...really funny! It makes me smile :)
    A question: Had you also the adventurous stormy rain-snow-hail-weather like "Sheeps and Peeps Farm" in West Virginia ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Dori, The weather Sheeps and Peeps Farm had was further South of me. It is still very much like winter here. Thank you for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ramona
    Love this woman...You can see that she is very wise. And I am a huge crow fan as well. I have ssen a lot of them lately. The deer are out in numbers too now that the harvested corn fields are snow free (or almost snow free).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crows are amazing. They don't come to perform outside my windows though, here they sit high up on lamp posts and watch us puny humans go about our business on the ground :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Woods Woman was smiling at me when I opened your Blog - she looks so benevolent and quietly happy. I think maybe she's a deep part of yourself that has come to life in a drawing.

    ReplyDelete