Saturday, May 14, 2011

The tale of the cat who fell from the sky.


Once while I was walking through a small woods about five years ago this very month, I heard a sound not usual for these surroundings. No, it was not a bird, yet somehow I knew this sound. Stopping to hold my breath so as to listen better, I heard it again. The distinct sound of a kitten in distress!



High, high in the trees she was.



I looked and looked until finally I saw her face, tiny and white . I was positioned at the far end of the limb she was on and she was headed right toward me.




 She stepped quickly to the supple end of the branch bending it almost in half and down she fell. Down, down she crashed through leafy boughs and branches grasping at all till she caught on something that would hold her.

I watched in astonishment as she collected herself and began to look my way again mewing loudly as I crept through the underbrush to get closer to the trunk of the tree. She then followed me and was able to make her way down toward my reaching hands. I quickly pulled her from the tree and held her as she panted wide eyed. She was clearly a kitten who was lured through her own curious nature and perhaps somehow lost her way.

I took her home and she became Emma, queen of the household, ruler of her domain, feisty little spitfire, semi feral one.

















....and this is how she came to have eyes of a different color.
One, the color of the sky, and one the color of the earth.



11 comments:

  1. Something to notice, when I was looking for tree photos to help illustrate this story I came across the fourth photo from the top and said "oh there she is in the tree" Then I remembered, no! I didn't have a camera to take pictures when she was found.This is not her, this is a real leaf that looks like a kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful kitty and great story! She reminds me of my Sophia cat who is gone now a couple of years - though Emma is surely more adventurous that Sophia ever was... she preferred to hold the heart of our home tucking into fern beds close to the house or curling by the wood stove - always present and keeping watch... When she died, Pasha and I were so ungrounded for a long while, we didn't realize how important her work of holding center was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerianna, your Sophia sounds like she was a gentle and sweet presence in your home. It is good to have such animals in our lives:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to eat her :)))) and I admire the great personality I see in that beautiful face

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Yes Stille Linde, I want to eat her too but with a spoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a small spoon, to taste every delicious bit with dedicated attention :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! you make me laugh this morning Stille Linde, but be warned you might taste a little sourness she is also called "the tiny terror".

    She bullies the dogs, throws anything you love on the floor, and hisses when any one comes to the door!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not possible! Really NOT possible! What a tale! What an author! This is such a great story, and I preferred to read it only in your language. for example the moment, when you were holding your breath to hear better. And first the illustrating photos with the trees and brunches-and then Emma in these very secret and funny places--incredible!-YES! When I saw the fourth photo I saw a little cat and thought: O, Ramona had a camera on this very day and was documenting and saving in the same minute!! :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story. Your photos captured her spirit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful story! I immediately saw her in that photo of the branches too, I even enlarged it to check if it really was her in there.

    Cats have a way of seeking out their people, don't they... Both my cats came into my life by chance - from my point of view anyway, perhaps they had a plan all a long..!

    ReplyDelete
  11. elle s'ennuie-Yes, I find cats some of the most mysterious creatures. I'm always learning something new and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete