Friday, December 14, 2012

December Comes Void of White


          December comes void of white. Northern Illinois normally has snow by now but there's been no sign or even a hint of it. I'm restless. I check the weather channel regularly and secretly hope a winter storm is brewing. No mere 1 or 2 inches will do, I want something monumental, something that will last. It should come from the West and slowly build momentum as it heads toward the Great Lakes Region where the winds usually pick up and any heavy snow combined with wind can quickly produce disorienting white-outs. 
        
        We shall have plenty of notice to go to the nearest supermarket and stock up on essentials, a giddy excitement is shared as groceries are quickly wheeled to parked cars and unloaded from carts. Once home, cars are parked thoughtfully and those lucky enough to have a garage feel a slight advantage as the garage door closes shut behind them. Once inside, the windows are latched tight and we talk of how much snow is expected and do we know where the snow shovels are?
        
      This winter fantasy is a reoccurring one for me. The longer it is before the first snowfall the more often I wish for the blizzards of the past. Of course, winter storms are unpredictable and can cause damage to property and are life threatening, but,... to have mother nature threaten all around us while safe inside our cocoons while being able to look out at the white splendor through window panes of hoar frost in the morning light is a very satisfactory and gratifying, if not, humbling experience.
      
        So here's to all who wish for snow. May we be safe and warm and able to enjoy winter with childlike joy and wonderment.
        

11 comments:

  1. Oh Ramona, you awakened a precious dream cocooned within my heart, a dream of snow.
    I have never seen snow in my life, wither it's a white lace gently falling from the skies or even blizzards.. how it sounds when it land gently upon my window sills, crunching under my feet.. cold nose warm clothes, breathing the fresh smell of air with hints of burning fire wood, a warm dream of cold that lingers within my heart.
    I think seeing snow will be somehow like meeting an old friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hussam, an old friend indeed. Your dream of snow is so very vivid!

      Delete
  2. Here's to hoping you'll get snow soon! It's so nice to get to stay inside where it's warm, when it's really cold outside and the wind is howling behind the windows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can live through your fantastic winter photography!!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you!! I've been late in getting up the snow-poles, finally, yesterday, did that - and thanks for the reminder, I need to pull the shovels and car scraper out of the tool shed! We are expecting snow, sleet and rain tomorrow... so, its something, but not a "real" storm. Keep dreaming, I have a feeling we'll get some after Christmas.

    (and speaking of that, some little magic came to me from you yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Car scrapers and warmer gloves!

      Delete
  4. Here's hoping for a safe yet adventure filled snow storm to come your way. We have had a lot of winter, with cold temperatures, lots of snow, and dark days. Soon the winter solstice will pass by, and we will be once again working towards the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the queen of snow my Northward friend! I look to your blog for wintry and snow-bound images!

      Delete
  5. Dear Ramona, you have eternal snow in sweet Emma's fur :X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh yes, eternal, pure white drifts :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is an old Before-Christmas-Song, I often sang, when I was a child:

    "Snow-flake, white skirt, lovely star, when do you come? Come from the sky and sit down at my window. We all, we all love you!

    ReplyDelete