Friday, March 20, 2015

The first day of Spring makes a Dramatic Entrance



This morning while having coffee with my husband I heard a loud thump coming from the back of the house. We looked to see if it was one of our two cats making mischief. No, both were peacefully laying about. I said to my husband, please look to see if a bird has flown into the window, and yes, an adult Robin, the bird known for Spring has hit the window and is now laying on its back, feet straight up in the air, sides heaving.

I quickly went outside to the bird and gently picked it up and held it in my lap to warm it. Such a beautiful and magnificent bird. After awhile I put it in a covered basket in a safe and warm place in the house to let it recover.
Sometimes a bird will recover from colliding with a window and sometimes....not. In this case the birds wings, neck and legs all seem fine. After one and a half hour he/she is alert and hopping outside with no sign of wobbliness. I'll keep a close eye on it and hope that it remembers it's wings.

We cannot always help our animal friends but when given the opportunity it is the right thing to do.

Happy first day of spring everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Glad all went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exciting day - I'm glad your little robin made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We cannot always help our animal friends but when given the opportunity it is the right thing to do."

    This is a very wise and important word, beloved Ramona!

    I love this photo. A typical Ramona-drawing, -painting, -doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a timely post Dori. When one door closes a window opens.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Ramona, I watch the window to open and hope to see a new trace of the stag....

      Delete
  4. so lovely that you cared tenderly for it
    it sounds like it will fly away to enjoy spring
    i hope so
    sweet spring to you too
    I agree with Dori, it would be a lovely drawing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet spring blessings to you Tammie.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Tammie!

      Delete